Sr. Drill & Blast Engineer
Founded in 2016, DataCloud builds advanced technology solutions that help mining companies to master the subsurface so they can transform their economics and own the future. DataCloud enables mining operators to make better, more profitable decisions faster. Our integrated technology and analytics platform enables mining companies to process massive volumes of drilling and geosciences data and create real-time, actionable insights that dramatically improve their processes, performance and productivity.
Our team is a best-in-class group of experts from the technology industry and top-tier institutions such as Stanford, UC-Berkeley and Cambridge who have deep expertise in geoscience and blast-wave analysis. Our unique combination of skills in both mining and technology, is helping us to solve many of the problems that have challenged the mining industry for decades. Our portfolio of products and services span the latest in Geo-Statistics, Geo-Physics, and advanced digital and artificial intelligence technologies, including cloud computing, machine learning, advanced visualization, and new sensor technology enabled by IoT systems.
Data cloud is actively seeking a technical expert in drill and blast to support our continued product development.
The ideal candidate will have deep experience of drill and blast operations and modelling in an open pit mining environment. Strong knowledge of the theoretical and practical aspects of blasting are important. Experience in hard rock, open pit drill and blast operations with a solid understanding of the physics of blasting from both a theoretical and practical levels is essential to this role.
Key Role responsibilities
Reporting to the COO with a dotted line to the CTO, the Drill and Blast Engineer will
- Be primary subject matter expert and own all drill and blast product decisions
- Act as primary subject matter expert to advise the software and AI teams
- Act as advisor to hardware development and new measurement sensors to the IoT hardware team
- Advise field teams on rock related subjects in the mines to enable proper deployment of IoT hardware
- Function as technical sales expert and manage pre-sales function to support sales and marketing
- Undergraduate / graduate education in mining engineering or related / equivalent geo-technical subject matter expertise
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills – not afraid to dive deep into subject related data and ask the right questions and be able to chart a path to answer them
- Flexible “can-do” attitude
- Ability to deal with ambiguity and work in a fast-paced environment
- Ideally located in or willing to move to Silicon Valley, Seattle, or Santa Barbara
- Ability to travel to remote client mining sites as needed (travel is typically anticipated to be less than 25% initially)
- Excellent balance of people, organizational, technical, and communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple concurrent major projects
- High proficiency in planning, collaboration, communication, and reporting tools
- Fluid ability to traverse both vertically and horizontally in any organization
- Excellent trade-off management in achieving tactical and strategic objectives
- Ability to successfully influence others to best outcomes without having authority
- Proven leadership skills in highly volatile cross-functional and cross-organizational environments
- Exposure to Product Management best practices and requirements elicitation is a plus
- Exposure software engineering best practices is a plus
- Adept at proactive change management
DataCloud is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, military status, or national origin or any other characteristic protected under federal, state, or applicable local law. The Candidate must be authorized to work in either the USA or Canada.
To inquire about this position, please email: [email protected]